Durian Disease: Durian Pythium Root Rot
Entomopathogenic Fungi: Phytophthora palmivoar Butler
Entomopathogenic fungi ruin root system and spread to the tubes. As a result, nutrients and water cannot be delivered to the parts so the leaf is rough and withers. Then, the tree deteriorates and dies. The bole of tree, bough and bark has the red brown rubber leaks from the crack. The bark tissue is ruined and turns red brown or dark brown. The epiphytotic becomes severe during the continuing heavy rain. Durian tree with root rot disease will wither and die rapidly.
Prevention and Elimination
- Drain water from the garden, especially during rainy season.
- Nourish the tree. Prune the diseased bough or trunk before burning.
- Adjust soil pH condition to 5.5-6.5 with Perga Ultra 1-2 kg. per one tree. The acid soil weakens the tree so the fungus underground can ruin it easily.
- Minimize the amount of fungi by mixing Terrazole 100 cc. per 10-20 ltr. of water and pour on the soil under the canopy, especially the tree that has not yet shown the symptom on the leaf.
- If the scar is visible on the trunk, bark the disease bark and paint the scar with Nordox Super 100 g. and Terrazole 100 cc. per one liter of water.
Remark: Use Ozophrene along with the paint to prevent Durian Shot-hole Borer.